Friday, June 06, 2014

the organized life...of my alter ego

what reality really looks like

meals planned, coupons and shopping lists organized, laundry folded and put away, clothes ironed, house clean, homework checked, and kids in bed on time. all of this with clean hair and a fresh face...
dates with the husband are priority, and there's even time left just for me!

not in this life! 

REAL LIFE looks a little bit different...
the last time i did something "just for me" happened to be a parenting Bible study! imagine that?!
the only dates i've had with the husband for the past few years have pretty much consisted of going to lunch or dinner and coming right back so that we could get our oldest from school or put the kids to bed.
the only meals i've planned in the last six months have been when choosing which frozen dinner fits my mood!
oh and my recent laundry schedule is bringing back, not so fond, memories of when i worked outside the home. i was in so over my head then that i'd either wake up in the middle of the night to do laundry because i realized no one's uniforms were clean; OR i'd throw dirty uniforms in the dryer with two dryer sheets to "freshen them up" because i hadn't realized that there were no more clean!! AND my husband did all of his own laundry plus 70% of the cooking back then. it was insanity. i'm not quite there again, thankfully!

i am the type of person who does think it is important for my home to be clean and orderly. i feel like i do my best at being a wife and mom when my days are organized and on schedule. there was even about a two year period when my home was almost chaos free. almost! and, no, it wasn't before i had kids! it was when i first stopped working outside the home; but before i had my third child! it seems like throwing another baby into the mix, and beginning to homeschool has just put me into a land where i cannot seem to reach my organized self who is now just my alter ego! i am now trying to figure out the best way to deal with this.

i think dealing with the feelings i am having about my now unorganized life will require a few things from me.
i think that i will first have to be honest about how much effort i'm putting in now and how much it will actually require to reach my goals. i think that i'll have to accept that i'm in a season of life that makes my organized fantasy an impossible reality. i will have to let some things go! that means i'll have to be really focused when deciding my priorities; because i don't want to let my own desires climb to the top of the list, while i ignore things that will benefit the entire family. and most of all, i need to put my plans into action! i'm pretty good at planning out, but not as good at following through.

while i have to give myself a "C" for the current state of chaos in my homemaking; i'd like to give myself an "A" for honesty and desire to change! i don't have dreams of being perfect. i really don't. i just want to be my most comfortable me, in my own home!






No comments:

Post a Comment